Skip to main content

AJOY (SHORT STORY)

AJOY

My name is Ajoy. Last night, my father surprised me with a candlelit cake. Then he showed me a mini-splash-pool. ‘Your birthday gift’, he said. Today, we went for a long drive. We strolled in a park and had my favorite ice-cream on our way back. It was an enjoyable but tiring day. He was not wearing his usual all-black attire and a white neckband. I have no idea what he does but wonder why I get an uncanny negative vibe from most of his visitors.

It was already late when we returned home, despite my resistance. He tucked me up in my bed. He looked sorrowful. With his right hand, he held my mother, kissed her and went back to his room. Besides seeing her on his neck-chain pendant, I haven’t seen her in person for a long time. He never talks to me about her, presuming I won’t understand.

Wait a minute. What is that noise? I think it’s the sound of the main door opening. Is my father going out this late? Let me check. Nope. The main door is shut. It’s dark. Can’t see anyone. But where is this rather familiar odour coming from? My senses warn me that something is amiss. I hear a loud thud. Instinctively, I sprint to my father’s room and find him on the floor, lying on a pool of blood. He stares at me but does not blink.

I am so shell-shocked that I can’t even scream. Instead, I lie down beside him over his shoulders and whimper. Just then, I hear a toilet-flushing sound from the washroom. I hastily get up and hide under the bed. A few seconds later, I see a man with a big knife tucked under his belt. His face is not visible from where I am. I tilt my head and watch him getting into the opposite room. My room. This might be the only opportunity I have, to run away. But I am too scared to even move.

He returns and is frantically searching for something in my father’s room, emptying out the contents of all the almirahs and drawers but does not take anything. Then, he approaches my father, rummages his pockets, grabs his face and hysterically yells at him. He was about to stand-up but bents down again midway, circumspect. He discovers me. I see his face now. My body is shaking vigorously. I instantly recognize him as the man who had been here a few days back. I see his facial expressions changing from being enraged to somewhat sympathetic. He pulls me out gently.

We share a mutual gaze. He strokes my back, which relieves my panting. He smiles at me, then notices my neck tag and says, ‘Don’t worry Ajoy, I will take care of you.’ I lick his blood-covered hand. While being taken away from my home, I fathom out that I have a new master now, but my best friend will always be my father.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PANCHAYAT (TV SHOW) REVIEW

PANCHAYAT, a web-series currently being streamed at Prime Video, can aptly be described as an honest attempt to create a modern-day reincarnation of the classic TV Show MALGUDI DAYS (based on the works of R.K.Narayan) and is reminiscent of Shyam Benegal’s critically acclaimed film WELCOME TO SAJJANPUR (starring Shreyas Talpade). PANCHAYAT is the story of an engineering graduate Abhishek Tripathi, played by Jitendra Kumar (Humorously Yours, Kota Factory), who reluctantly joins as the Secretary of a panchayat office in a remote village of Uttar Pradesh on the insistence of his best friend (played by OTT sensation Biswapati Sarkar), who believed that his unique grassroots level experience would increase his chances to crack his IIM interview. Biswapati comically consoles him by saying that it would give him a chance to be the Mohan Bhargava of Phulera village. The lead character’s frustrations and how he adjusts with the difficult village life is the common thread that joins

UNDERRATED INDIAN MOVIES FOR CINEMA LOVERS

Over the years, the Indian Film Industry has intermittently churned out genuinely good films, which were made on a smaller scale but with top-notch (and often better) content compared to their blockbuster counterparts (barring a few exceptions). This is the list of the top 50 of these underrated films which deserve more recognition and need to be seen by more people. 1. 13B (2009)  One of the best mystery-thrillers of Indian Cinema, 13B follows the story of a quintessential middle-class man (played by Madhavan), who begins to experience a series of supernatural phenomenon by way of a television program, soon after his family moves into a new apartment on the 13 th Floor. The film’s story and its execution were acclaimed by some Hollywood filmmakers also. 2. 1971 (2007)  A deftly made prison movie set in the year 1977, it revolves around six brave prisoners of Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, as they attempt to escape from a POW camp to reach the Indian border, which is just

QUARANTINE MOVIES WATCHLIST (Compiled by Pranshu Awasthi)

After the extended coronavirus lockdown was announced in India, I have been receiving requests to compile my own “Quarantine Movies Watchlist”. It was about time I resisted my laziness so finally made the list. I have tried to exclude too mainstream, too offbeat, and older pre-2K films and have tagged the ones which are available on Netflix and Prime Video. Read the synopsis, watch the ones which you have not and enjoy while being indoors. 1. THE NEXT THREE DAYS (2010) (Streaming on NETFLIX) When his wife is convicted of a murder she swears she did not commit, a college professor (Russel Crowe) plots to break her out of prison in this truly edge-of-the-seat thriller also starring Elizabeth Banks and Liam Neeson.  2. ORPHAN (2009) (Streaming on PRIME VIDEO) Offering a chilling blend of horror and nail-biting drama, it’s a story about a husband and wife who recently lost their baby and plan to adopt a 9-year-old girl, but who is not nearly as innocent as she claims to be.